Print this page

Our history

The Australian Conference of Leaders of Religious Institutes (ACLRI) or Catholic Religious Australia (CRA) as it is publicly known developed out of three separate conferences of women Religious, Priests and Brothers. 

These three separate conferences were set up in response to the invitation of the first general congress of the states of perfection (consecrated life) held in Rome in December 1950. This congress invited Religious and secular institutes, male and female, from each nation to join in federations, conferences or councils of major superiors. 

In 1990, after a trial period of two years, the three Conferences combined and the new Statutes were approved by Rome in 1992. In 2006, the ACLRI Council made the decision to change the working name to Catholic Religious Australia (CRA), while keeping the official name of ACLRI.